`After purchasing my pair of DPA 4060's a while back I have been planning on building a DIY binaural rig. While I have a method for using the DPA's with my own ears a stealth recording rig, this isn't always the best way to go.
The inability to monitor is an issue along with noise from the operator (breath sounds, footsteps - etc) and proximity to subject. So while it makes for a great stealth rig, I wanted a way to get past those limitations, wihtout spending a boat load on one of these:
I started by tracing out the ears and cutting to the depth of the silicone mount.
Slice the mannequin's ear off
Scored columns and rows with my exacto knife
scraped 'em out with a spoon
Grab a nail file and smooth out the insides
Drill hole in ear for lav cables
There's already a hole in the mannequin head that runs thought it, perfect!
But I'm drilling a hole in the back neck so I can run the cables out there and use the hole at the bottom for a stand mount.
I elected not to glue the ears in - they're a pretty snug fit and getting the DPA's in and out will be easier that way.
And then my kids got a hold of her and asked to give her a makeover. I figured people would think I was plenty crazy for carrying around a mannequin head anyhow - at least this way I won't lose it.
Some Fixit epoxy to fit the mic adapter into the head
It's a 3/8" to 5/8" adapter.
I've attached a heavy bead with a twist tie and wrapped around the end of the DPA attaching to the XLR connector to thread it through the head. Even so, it takes some doing to thread the microphone through.
Threading the mic into the ear
The mics just poke out a bit
And voila, DIY binaural dummy head.